Monday, September 21, 2015

Busker's Rights

So today I attended a reception for the new NOLA Patrol, 
a group of new police officers who will patrol the 
Quarter on foot. There were various types of police 
present, plus community and business leaders, 
as well as street performers and musicians. I spoke 
about the hopes that the NOLA Patrol will be sensitive 
to street performers, protecting them and viewing them 
as a cultural treasure, and not as panhandlers. 

The Commander spoke at length about my comments, 
assuring everyone that these officers have no intention 
of stopping street performance or violating anyone's 
rights to free speech. That's one thing that New Orleans' 
messed up government gets right: it recognizes street 
performance as a constitutional right, unlike many 
American cities that have outlawed it or require 
complicated permits (I'm looking at you, CHARLESTON). 

Afterward I met many of the officers, and they were 
exceedingly friendly. Upon walking out, I saw this young man 
playing buckets outside. I see him a lot and he's got skills. 
This kid right here...this is why I said what I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment